Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Didn't I Know That?

During my time at Bastyr I was constantly pounded with information, so much so that when I would come visit my friends they would tell me I was 'leaking' information. As if I had so much stuff in my head I couldn't contain it all and had to share or I would explode. Now 7 months after graduation I am not so full and I wonder if I have lost a large proportion of my knowledge base.

I worry about this because I know I am not using my knowledge effectively. I haven't been studiously pouring through my notes or reading the books I bought (but never had read all the way through). Most of the time if someone asks me something I tend to have an answer for them; and if I don't, I usually find I've never learned anything about their particular ailment. This doesn't relieve the sense that I have been slacking off, or that feeling that I have lost something along the way. I feel inadequate when trying to explain things to people, I either go jargon-y on the--telling the things they just don't understand--or I leave out important information. In an attempt to remedy this I have written up instruction sheets explaining the treatment and herbs I am using for them. I don't yet know if this is effective but I hope to get some feedback by the end of the week.

So am I ready to be an Herbalist? I really don't know, but this is what I have set myself up to be. I just have to keep moving forward and that the knowledge really is still up there and hope that luck is on my side.

No comments: